On Sticky Weed

parietaria

You need to write this one here, as this blog is searchable.

Also known as Asthma Weed, Parietaria judaica.
It is native to continental Europe, and it behaves pretty much in the same way over here, clinging on wall’s crevices and thriving on grossly un-natural sites, like concrete’s cracks and gutters.
It is one of the most successful pioneer plants, one of the few who can deal with our destruction of the environment, claiming back ecosystems.

Sydney’s Marrickville council is running a campaign at the moment against this plant, stressing the fact that pollens generated by the flowering of the specie can cause respiratory allergic reaction.

I would love to see Marrickville council do the same campaign, together with information booklets on how to suppress it, about cars and what they are doing to our air.

Below is an easy recipe for Sticky Weed, taken from an italian book: Piante Selvatiche by C. Gamacchio.

Maccheroncini alla Parietaria

Ingredients:
Maccheroncini (a kind of pasta) 200 gr
Parietaria 100 gr
Besciamella 50 gr
salt
chilli

Cook the maccheroncini “al dente”.
Steam the parietaria, salt and blend.
Add besciamella and chilly to taste. Fold the sauce in the pasta, serve immediately

Parietaria was also used in the past to clean glass and mirrors.

About info

Diego Bonetto is a multimedia artist living and practicing in Sydney, Australia, and is a key member of artists' collectives SquatSpace and the BigFAGPress. -The SquatSpace collective has been producing ground-breaking events and projects since 2000. The group has been curated in a number of shows both in Australia and overseas. The current initiatives, the Redfern-Waterloo Tour of beauty (www.squatspace.com/redfern) tackle issues of social representation and the politics of space generated by gentrification. -The BigFagPress (BFP) is a publishing facility housed in Wooloomooloo, Sydney. The BFP is a salvaged 4-tonnes Off-set proof press. The press allows for the creation of countless artworks by keen printmakers and self-started publishers. www.bigfagpress.org Diego has also been working with WeedyConnection, an environmental art campaign. The project involves an online resource (www.weedyconnection.com), short documentary films, cooking shows, blogs, installations, prints, facebook interventions and various site-specific installations in the form of self-guided tours. WeedyConnection tackle the anthropocentric view of what environment should look like. Based on research and data provided by disciplines as far apart as biology, anthropology, paloenthology, social ecology and ethno botany it formulates ethical questions about cultural representation in times of environmental urgency.
This entry was posted in Recipe, Venezia, WeedyConnection. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to On Sticky Weed

1. luca says:

really? you can eat asthma weed? are you sure? cos the lady at the marrickville council weed walk said that it caused wheezing etc. is ingesting different from inhaling?

2. info says:

sure is, luca, check this: http://www.sydneyweeds.org.au/weeds/asthma-weed.php
    and this:
    then you can see for yourself
    thanks for comments!

3. matthias says:

i just would not pick the specimens in range of dogs doing their “natural job”;-)

4. info says:

indeed, “no where in a city I would forage!”
    You can quote that!

5. Nick says:

I don’t think we have that one growing up here near Mudgee. I’m trying to build a database of all the plant species near our place. Early days yet, but your welcome to any of the information I compile.

Love your project

6. info says:

thanks Nick!
    at the moment this blog is a bit abandoned while traveling wide the world. but i look forawrd a bunch of blog’s pingbacks with you guys!
    well done.

7. sam says:

wow, I’m so glad I found you ….. I have been foraging in Brunswick Vic for Dandelion to make teas and salad and everyone thinks I’m mad. Do you have any good links for weed eating in South East Oz.

8. sam says:

Yeah , I completely understand where you are coming from. The euro-centric culture in Australia has stopped us from being as resourceful as we could be, but I also believe that the change really needs to happen at a rural level. People on the land are effected by the cycles of climate and weather so much more than city folk , and generally , but not as a rule rural folk tend to be a bit more practical. I went to a little town called Walla Walla a few months ago and was really impressed of the level of consciouness that is sweeping through those towns out there. They are really beggnining to grasp the idea of utlising everything to its maximum potential, and even talking about organic gardening. Its changing. Its great to chat to you …. what else do you get up too.

9. info says:

I get up lots of things, just back from Venice and Documenta, in Venice installing Callum Morton’s Valhalla and in Kassel getting over the over-commercialisation of art. Now back in Sydney, will spend the next two 3 weeks with my daughters (9 n 11 years old), with me for the winter holidays, while opening a show at a local gallery with a collective i’m part of (http://www.squatspace.com/blog/?p=58 ), and catching up with silent blogs, writing about moons and earthly connections. I will have to work very soon again as $ for art does not come from the sky over here, unlike the rain that instead keeps falling.
    I changed the subject (from YOU to IT)but i’m not sure is working.
    I find myself stuck in a far too complex mind, where directions are hard to find, even for the person who’s meant to know the way: I? You? It?…
    We should exchange links, as critical thinkers rely on each other’s research/writings to build abstract arguments with.
    cheers
    nobody

10. SAM says:

Yeah we should exchange links. Are you on del.icio.us….. If you go there i’m samarama